Full Time English Teacher (IT-Related Adults) in Lviv, Ukraine
Now Hiring - Full-time English Teacher in L’viv, Ukraine
Our small, low-profile but highly-praised language school in L’viv, Ukraine seeks a responsible, dependable English teacher for adult students primarily involved in the IT sphere. This posting offers a very dynamic, flexible teaching environment which is very pragmatic compared to the typical language mill system of “straight from the book” instruction.
The ideal candidate will be a mature, charismatic self-starter who needs minimum supervision to carry out a fairly straightforward and interesting educational curriculum. Some experience/credentials is required, but we’re not super anal about it. If you haven’t gathered from the posting, we’re pretty laid back here, but we expect you to get the job done without any B.S. Sound like your type of gig? Read on:
- Maximum (mandatory) 25 full-hours of teaching each week, weekdays only
- Minimum contract of 6 months, with bonuses for completing a 12 month contract
- Actual, legal teaching work. In Ukraine. Yes, it exists!
- 80% of jobs are within walking distance of each other, while some require taxis/bus to get to in a timely manner
- Dynamic schedule - you can negotiate your schedule with the clients as long as it doesn’t interfere with other classes
- Fixed-rate payment system - the more you work the more you make. Anything over 25 hours a week is considered “overtime.”
- Students are generally motivated, from pre-intermediate to advanced. Introverted, and usually busy, the students are generally more interested in “real” English usage instead of grammar lessons or roleplaying from a textbook.
Desirable Bonus Traits:
- Any knowledge of Russian/Ukrainian would be a big plus.
- A desire to stay long term (>1 year) would be awesome - even if you wouldn’t want to necessarily work as a teacher for that whole time.
- A strong work ethic that focuses on self-improvement would also be great.
There is a 30 day probation period where you will be eased into your classes a bit and provided some guidance with lessons and the general curriculum. After that, you will get a substantial pay increase and be hitting your 25 hour a week maximum.
The process for getting a visa/work permit here in Ukraine is a PIA. However, we insist on hiring only legal workers. That being said, you will need to put up with some good old post-Soviet bureaucracy to get your papers here - just warning you in advance!
We are a very small operation working for over 5+ years here in Lviv, Ukraine, primarily focusing on providing adequate English training to the fast-developing IT sphere. We are more or less a coalition of HR personnel from various companies which are trying to find a competent English teacher who can help our employees improve their ability to communicate in English.
- To avoid random spam, we’ll say this - the base pay is much less than in SE Asia/Middle East, but definitely on the high end for Eastern Europe, and with the cost of living being as cheap it is, you’ll definitely have a comfortable life. Think 5x-8x the average wage of Ukraine (google that).
- Housing is NOT included, but again, it’s cheap. 5-20% of your salary on average, depending on how much luxury you want.
- A phone + plan and internet is covered by us, though.
- Bonus pay for 12 month contracts or overtime work. More details during the interview about that.
- Must have some sort of teaching experience, and/or credentials. Obviously, the more experience the better, but we’ll take any teaching experience, even if it isn’t in the world of TEFL. Credentials could be any TEFL/CELTA/teaching cert that actually put you in front of a class. And yes, we’ll check the cert if you have one.
- Must be a native English speaker from a native English speaking country, who possesses a widely-understood accent. This is non-negotiable.
- Must commit to at least a 6 month contract, with 12 months being far more desirable. This is due to the visa/residency process, and also because clients prefer to work with the same teachers for long term.
- Must be charismatic, entertaining, and basically not a boring person. Half of this job is just luring your students away from their computers to come attend your lessons - if they don’t like your class, they won’t come, and you won’t have work. Such is the nature of TEFL here in Lviv!
- Must be mature, disciplined, and responsible. This job is not a babysitting gig - by that I mean you are not baby sat, nor are you doing any sitting yourself. The ability to work independently without supervision is critical in this particular position.
You need to have the requirements below:
AND one of the following sets to apply:
Shoot us an e-mail at [email protected] with the following info:
- Put “English Teacher in Lviv” in the subject line.
- Include your CV/resume (you can attach it, shoot a Google Docs link, or just direct link to LinkedIn, we don’t care.)
- A link to any social network page you have (FB, LinkedIn), preferably one with plenty of info on it.
- Provide the following information - Age & Citizenship (if you have more than one passport, list them all)
- A brief answer to the following question: “Why do you want to work in Ukraine?” If this question annoys you, we’ll warn you now - you’re going to be asked this a lot by your students so you might as well get used to it.
- BONUS: Any lessons you have prepared, videos of you teaching, references… basically stuff which you think will convince us to hire you.
All e-mails which follow the above directions will be answered within 7 days of receiving them, regardless of whether we take you in on or not. Expect at least one Skype interview for the second stage of the interview process if you are accepted - there we can answer any questions you may have about the job, Lviv, or life in general in Ukraine.