Galapagos Islands - Experienced EFL Instructors Needed
Location: Galapagos, Ecuador
Position: EFL Instructor
Starting dates: March & April 2017
Interview: As soon as possible
Seeking energetic, motivated, proactive, creative and flexible English teachers in one of the most unique places in the world – the Galápagos Islands! Become part of an internationally diverse faculty and staff at the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) Galápagos in Santa Cruz or in San Cristóbal. The University’s popular English program has been operating on San Cristóbal Island for over ten years, and has recently opened a new Language Institute on Santa Cruz, the most-populated island of the archipelago. We provide English as a Foreign Language classes to children, high school students, traditional university students (completion of our English program is a requirement for students at USFQ), as well as adult community members (typically National Park guides, doctors, policemen and women, researchers or tour operators).
As part of our ESL program, you will be expected to teach approximately 25 contact hours a week. Teachers are required to schedule one office hour every week as well as participate in occasional professional development and extra-curricular activities. During your 6-month contract, you’ll teach a variety of classes to children (ages 8-11), teenagers (ages 12-17), and adults (ages 18 and up). Classrooms are equipped with projectors and white boards. Basic art supplies and materials are also provided.
Applicants must pay for their travel expenses to the Galapagos. After successful completion of your 6-month contract, teachers receive a $540 bonus.
Here on the islands we have free access to basic healthcare, but if so desired, you may pay for your own travel medical insurance. USFQ will be responsible for covering the costs of acquiring the necessary visa.
- A monthly salary of $600.00 USD
- Free accommodation in a dorm or fully furnished house (both include shared kitchen and bathroom facilities)
- Free Access to basic health care
- Visa expenses are covered by the university
While you are considered a volunteer due to your visa status, and therefore not allowed to volunteer or work in any other institution or agency during your teaching contract, there are occasionally opportunities to earn additional income through tutoring or teaching additional classes.
- Native English speaker
- Bachelor's degree
- 100+ hour TEFL/CELTA/TESOL certificate
- At least 1 year of prior teaching experience
- An interest in Ecuadorian culture
- Masters Degree in TESOL, Teaching or related field
- 2+ years of EFL/ESL experience
- Conversational Spanish skills
You need to have the requirements below:
AND one of the following sets to apply:
Please send the following materials to the Department of English Language and Exchange at: [email protected]
- Cover letter
- Copies of relevant degrees and TEFL/CELTA/TESOL certificate
- 2 professional references (one from a current or recent supervisor and another from someone who can speak to your teaching experience)
Check us out on Facebook: Instituto de Idiomas GAIAS